Dehydrated skin is characterized by a lack of moisture in the stratum corneum, which is the outermost layer of the skin. Dehydration, dryness, and flakiness are common skin problems for people across many age groups. Whether you experience it on your face or elsewhere on your body, healthy eating habits along with maintaining good hygiene and daily skincare essentials go a long way in keeping your skin smooth, fresh and hydrated. There are three ways in which one can keep their skin hydrated, namely:
- Exfoliating and moisturizing
- Lifestyle changes
- Dietary changes
Let us discuss these skin hydrating ways in detail. Exfoliating and moisturizing
- Wash your face with a cleanser or water at least twice a day.
- Exfoliate your skin with the help of a washcloth, mask, scrub or brush every day. Exfoliation removes dead skin cells and makes it ready to be moisturized. If this step is missed out, your moisturizer won’t be able to soak into your skin and do the needed job. If you have sensitive skin, use a very gentle exfoliant.
- After exfoliation, applying a moisturizer to the skin both in the morning and at night helps to keep it hydrated for a long period of time. Using a heavy moisturizer will keep your skin hydrated throughout the night.
- Using a hydrating face mask 1-2 times every week gives your skin an extra boost of moisture. Paper sheet masks and cream masks are the best available options for hydration.
- Take a short shower every day in warm water. Avoid hot water as it will constrict the pores on your skin, thus making the moisturizer less effective.
- Sunscreen should be used every day before you step out since sun damage is a major cause of dehydrated and flaky skin. The sunscreen that you apply should have a minimum SPF 15.
- Avoid chemical laundry detergents as they contain a high amount of sulfate which can irritate your skin. When doing your laundry, always look for sulfate and fragrance-free alternatives that will get your clothes clean without proving to be harmful to your skin.
- Mist your face with rose water several times a day. The mist will not only refresh you, but it will also keep your skin hydrated if done at regular short intervals.
- Drinking at least 6-8 glasses of water per day will make your skin feel hydrated and look healthier. If you already drink 6-8 glasses of water every day, adding 1-2 more glasses to your daily routine will give your skin a hydration boost.
- Consume foods that help your skin stay hydrated. These may include almonds, cucumber, oranges, fish and avocado. Foods that contain a high amount of vitamin C, vitamin E, omega-3 and zinc are skin friendly.
- Try to avoid caffeine and alcohol as far as possible as they both result in a loss of water stored in your body which leads to dehydration.
Remember, there really isn’t anything you can’t achieve with a little care. So go ahead and follow these steps for glowing and healthy skin.