Out of the multiple signs of aging, sagging skin is one that most people want to avoid. As we grow older, our skin tends to lose its elasticity due to the weakening of the connective tissue, unevenly distributed body fat, loss of weight, and pregnancy. There are several home remedies one can follow when it comes to skin tightening:
- Coconut oil: Derived from the flesh of the coconut, this oil is a staple in the kitchen and is a wonderful antioxidant. It eliminates free radicals that damage the skin and hydrates and moisturizes the skin. Massage some onto the face before going to sleep and leave it overnight for added effect.
- Egg white and honey mask: Besides their many health benefits, a mask made of egg and honey together can help in skin tightening. Egg whites are rich in a protein called albumin; it helps in rebuilding cells, in improving the elasticity of the skin and in giving a glow to the skin. Honey is an antioxidant and as such can help eliminate the damage caused by free radicals on the skin over time. Once a week, mix an egg white with honey, apply it on your face and wash it off with warm water after about fifteen minutes.
- Olive oil: Egyptians, in olden times, used olive oil to cleanse, moisturize, and protect their skin from bacteria and the sun long before lotions, sunscreens, and cleansers came into existence. It is a powerful antioxidant and is rich in vitamin E, which helps in skin tightening and protection from damages caused due to environmental stressors. It makes a perfect substitute for a body lotion after a shower.
- Coffee scrub: Along with its other benefits, coffee also makes a great skin tightening agent, thereby helping prevent signs of aging. Coffee has antioxidants that help reverse free radical damage. When combined with other ingredients such as cinnamon, brown sugar, and coconut oil, coffee makes a good scrub that helps exfoliate the skin and remove fat deposits.
- Witch hazel: This is another effective skin tightening agent, helping in healing sagging skin from the effects of the sun or aging. Often used as an astringent to help shrink pores and thereby aid skin tightening, witch hazel reduces the breakdown of collagen and elastin in the skin, thereby improving its elasticity.
- Epsom salt: An epsom salt soak is a good treatment for skin tightening. It is used to reduce swelling in the feet and can, therefore, be used on other parts of the body for the same reason. Epsom salt takes out excess water from the body. This, in turn, tightens the skin and reduces sagging.
- Yogurt masks: This is another wonderful skin tightening agent. The lactic acid in yogurt helps shrink pores in the skin and tightens the skin.
- Cucumber: This is yet another home remedy for skin tightening. It is considered a natural skin toner and can tighten loose skin without allergic reactions. Blend a cucumber with a few drops of vitamin oil and apply it; wash it off after fifteen minutes to help tighten the skin.